Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Pretzel Bark

Like you need another thing to do, right?  But seriously, you should.  This is absolutely DELICIOUS.  The perfect combo of sweet and salty to satisfy pretty much everyone!  It takes minutes to throw together (five ingredients)  and make.  Start to finish, under 20 minutes.  Enlist the help of a kid or two and they can help!
So a few weeks ago I got invited to a cookie exchange.  This was my very first one, which is kind of surprising with how much I cook and bake.  I was so excited to go!  Even better?  I had a BLAST!  Our sweet host had wine tasting & treats all set up for us and I couldn't have been in better company.  We sipped, laughed, girl talked and danced.  We each left with our arms full of 7 dozen of the most delightful cookies and treats one could imagine... my Christmas baking was DONE!  My husband and girls were completely thrilled to wake up the next day and see treat after homemade treat on the counter and I was thrilled that I got a super fun girls night out!
Anyway, I brought this Christmas Pretzel Bark to the exchange to share with the girls.  It didn't take long for me to make and I set it out on the cold porch to harden so it didn't even take up any fridge space.  Whoo-hoo!  I call it Christmas Bark because I must limit myself when it comes to this stuff.  I only make it at Christmas time because if I didn't, I'd be making it all the freaking time. My family loves it and I think yours will as well!



Here's how you make this deliciousness:


Christmas Pretzel Bark

*a few handfuls of pretzels
*2 sticks (one cup) of butter
*one cup light brown sugar
*2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
*sea salt

Heat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with foil.  I used an 11x13 sheet. Spray with some non-stick cooking spray and line the baking sheet with pretzels.  You can either break up the pretzels and lay them out, or you can let your inner OCD go crazy and place them whole on the cookie sheet in even lines like I did. :-/  Then my youngest stepped in to help and she took care of the pretzels while I made the toffee. Much better!

Anyhoo, to make the toffee,  you'll melt the butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat and add the brown sugar.  Stir often, taking care not to burn.  Turn the heat up to a medium-high heat and slowly keep stirring or whisking so it doesn't burn but you want it to come to a boil.  Once it starts to boil, turn down the heat to about a medium to prevent mix from burning, but to keep it bubbling.  Let it bubble, stiring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.  It should thicken up quite a bit for you.  It will look like this...

Remove from heat and immediately pour over the pretzels. Don't worry about any gaps because they'll fix themselves when it bakes.  Put the pan into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.  Remove and immediately top with 2 cups of chocolate chips.  Put back into the oven for about 30 seconds to warm up the chips so you can easily spread them over the toffee mixture.  Top generously with sea salt and lay the pan somewhere cool to harden.  I put mine on the porch (about 35 degrees) for about 30 minutes and it was good. A cold garage or fridge works too!
Break apart into chunks and voila!  Done!

East, right?  Everyone will love this.  Every. Single. Person.

2 comments: