Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pesto!

You know that feeling you get when you just can't finish a bowl of pasta? Riiiiiight.  Neither do I.


This recipe is going to make you feel a bit better because it's minimal pasta and lots of fresh grilled asparagus and delicious shrimp.  PLUS it's all tossed in a glorious (for real) pesto sauce. A little pesto goes a long way, and this recipe will make enough that you can freeze some for later dish.  I use little freezer bags or ice cube trays.  Either one works just fine.
I didn't eat much pesto before my cousin passed on this delicious sauce recipe to me, but when I did I would just buy it at the grocery store.  Now that I know how easy it is to make and what a difference there is in taste, when my basil is ready each year, I make big batches and freeze so I have plenty to use.  I toss it with pasta, as a topping for pizza and veggies, etc.  Make it.  You'll love it.  Then make the pasta.  You'll love that, as well.





Grilled Asparagus and Shrimp Pasta

*noodles of your choice (I used spaghetti this time)
*shrimp
*asparagus
*cherry tomatoes (I used fresh orange sunburst tomatoes because that's
what I had in my garden and they are BOMB. Ahem... yes. I'm a mother of two, in
my 30's and I just said that. :/ )
*parmesan cheese
*olive oil
*salt and pepper

What's super great about this recipe is that you don't need to use exact amounts because you really can't screw it up.  Just make it yours.  I tossed some shrimp, asparagus and sunburst tomatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Preheat your grill to medium/high heat and before you add your shrimp and veggies, turn the grill down a bit so the fire doesn't burn your food.  Add shrimp, asparagus and tomatoes on your grill, close cover and grill for 2-3 minutes.  Flip everything over and grill for about 2 more minutes. Remove from the grill, toss with a bit of spaghetti noodles, pesto (recipe below) and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  PRESTO! 





(The Best Ever) Pesto

*2 cups olive oil
*2 cups firmly packed whole fresh basil leaves
*2 cups fresh parsley leaves
*4 garlic cloves
*1/2 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
*one tbls fresh ground black pepper
*1/2 tsp salt
*one cup freshly grated pecorino or romano cheese
*1/2 cup water

Put all the ingredients, except basil, into a blender and grind thoroughly. Then add basil and blend until a creamy texture is achieved.  No cooking needed.

Now go wild and enjoy all that fresh taste and deliciousness!


*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, and on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment