Sunday, September 20, 2015

Hellooooo, Bok Choy!

About a year ago I was at a housewarming party and tried a salad that was to die for delicious.  It was made with (GASP) bok choy.  Before this, I had never even tried bok choy (other than the bit they throw into my Chinese take out) but now that I had and loved it, I was determined to find a recipe to try on my own at home.


Bok choy is known for it's mild flavor and is wonderful in stir fry's and soups.  You can eat it raw as well, which is how I use it in this recipe.  I read up a bit on bok choy (yes, I'm a tad nerdy like that)and found that not only is it yummy,  but it's packed with vitamins A & C. Just one cup provides more than 100% of the recommended dietary allowance of vitamin A and close to 2/3 of the RDA of vitamin C.  Trust me when I say you will eat more than one cup of this salad. It's low calorie but rich in anti-oxidants. So good, right??


I just get totally thrilled when I find something new that I love and usually go a bit overboard with recipe testing using that star ingredient. It's just how I roll.  So if you come to my house and I'm on a bok choy binge, don't be alarmed.  Something tells me after you try this salad, you'll be hooked as well.  The crunch from the sunflower seeds, sliced almonds and ramen are addicting and the dressing is so sweet and mouthwatering. Make it for lunch, dinner, as a side dish, share at a potluck... just MAKE IT!



Bok Choy Salad


*one bunch of bok choy, rinse and chop
*one package of ramen noodles, crushed (discard seasoning packet.  I just used 1/2
of the package and added more nuts instead for crunch.)
*one handful shelled sunflower seeds
*one handful sliced almonds
*2-3 green onions, chopped
*2 tbls Nanko rice vinegar
*1/4 c olive oil + 1 tsp
*one tsp butter
*1/2 tbls soy sauce
*one tsp toasted sesame seeds OR 1/2 tsp sesame oil
*1/4 c sugar
*pinch of salt

Melt one tsp olive oil and butter together in a large sauté pan.  Throw in ramen noodles, seeds and almonds. Stir often and sauté until golden, but be careful not to burn them. In a shallow bowl mix together 1/4 c olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil or seeds, sugar, rice vinegar and salt.  Whish until well mixed.  Put boy choy and green onions in a big bowl, add noodles, seeds and nuts and pour dressing over it all.  Done!  Easy and delicious!

*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife or on Twitter @HauteDishHWife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways.
 





2 comments: