Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Potato Leek Soup

Sometimes I find inspiration in the most unexpected places. My family and I recently had dinner at Celt's Craft House in Apple Valley. One would possibly hear the words "craft house" and automatically think, "Oh!  They have bar food." That's exactly what I thought and was totally mistaken.  They took bar food to the next level.  The burgers, the steak bites, (which were tender and cooked to perfection) the onion strings... all amazing. But one thing really stood out in my mind and that was their potato leek soup.  It was creamy, filling and perfectly garnished with sour cream and snippets of green onion.  Even my husband, who could possibly be one of the pickiest eaters on the face of the planet, enjoyed it.
Having never tasted a leek before, let alone cook with one, I set out and did some recipe research.  I wanted to perfectly replicate the delicious bowl of soup I had just a few weeks before.  After trying a few different things, I came up with a recipe that I'm totally happy with!
Doesn't this look AMAZING?  I promise, it tastes just as good.

If you've never cooked with leeks before, don't let that intimidate you. They're easy peasy!  I wouldn't use the hard leafy tops (maybe save to throw in to make a big pot of stock?) but the white and the very light green parts at the bottom are where it's at!
Best part?  It couldn't be easier to throw together.  If you're really pressed for time, this would be a great soup to throw together over the weekend and reheat on a busy night or for lunch the next day. It's very filling!
Check out the recipe below:


Creamy Potato Leek Soup

*3 medium size russet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and chopped
*3-4 celery stalks, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
*3 leeks, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
*1 bay leaf
*1 tsp dried thyme
*4 cups of chicken broth or stock (I used Swanson's since I
didn't have homemade on hand)
*1/2 c heavy cream
*salt & pepper to taste
*sour cream
*chopped green onions

Throw potatoes, leeks, celery, bay leaf, thyme and some salt and pepper into a soup pot with the chicken broth.  

Let boil for 15-20 minutes or just until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.  CAREFULLY put into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add everything back to the soup pot, turn on low and add the cream.  Add some more slat and pepper to taste.  Let simmer on very low for about 20 minutes. Ladle hot soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with a few green onions.  Perfect!  It's pretty and completely delicious.  I think you'll agree!


*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife or on Twitter @HauteDishHWife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment