Friday, April 29, 2016

Black Bean, Corn, and Pineapple Salsa

Muy bien, amigos.

Isn't this salsa gorgeous?  Guess what?  It tastes even better than it looks.
Every spring I take the kids over to Lorence's Berry Farm in Northfield to stock up on raspberries. Nothing beats fresh berries.  We go home, clean them all up and make jam.  (Find the recipe on the blog in the archives under "That's My Jam" or give this link a try:  http://hautedishhousewife.blogspot.com/2015/06/thats-my-jam.html) Usually they have a table there  with fresh picked asparagus (who can resist??) and a table to taste test salsa.  Lots of varieties and I'm a total sucker for a good salsa.  Needless to say, I got hooked.  I bought a jar, ran out and felt empty inside.  (okay.  Maybe not that dramatic, but I did miss it.) I didn't want to pay the $7-8 per jar they were selling them for so I decided to create my own recipe at home, preserve, and enjoy that fresh tasting deliciousness year round for waaaaaaaaay less money.


I used tomatoes, onion and peppers from our garden  and cilantro from my fresh herbs out on the deck to cut down on costs even more.  Friends, please don't be intimidated by canning your own salsa.  It's NOT difficult and it's just so worth it.  The one thing to remember is that you should start with jars and rims that are clean and hot.  I boil mine in the hot water bath before I fill them and then I just drop them back in to process.  Another thing I would suggest is to use a tool like this (found at Walmart, Target, etc.)


It is a life saver (perhaps literally) when lifting and dropping those hot jars in and out of boiling water.


Ok.  Back to the salsa.  It's a bit garlicky, a bit sweet, a bit spicy and just tastes so fresh.  I love that.  I think you will too.  If you're into more of a kick, you can certainly add more than just the one jalapeño.  Remember the seeds add spice as well so keep that in mind when your adjusting to your own tastes.


Black Bean, Corn and Pineapple Salsa
(makes about 4 pints)

*10 large tomatoes, cored (you can remove peel after baking if you choose)
*one large sweet yellow onion
*2 green peppers
*one jalapeno
*one cup of corn
*one 15oz can of black beans, drain and rinse
*1/2 cup scallions, diced
*1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
*1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
*one lime, juiced
*one tablespoon salt
*1/2 tablespoon pepper
*2 cups shredded pineapple

Preheat oven to 400.  Rough chop tomatoes, onion, peppers and jalapeño.  Place on baking sheet with garlic and bake for about 30 minutes. 
Meanwhile in a saute pan, fry corn on low to remove the liquid.  Keep moving it around to take care that it doesn't burn.  Turn off heat and add beans, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, pineapple, salt and pepper.  Take the pan with the veggies and drain off the juices.  Place everything from that baking pan carefully into a blender and pulse lightly.  Then add hot veggies to the corn and bean mix.  Mix all together, carefully ladle into hot jars and process for 15 minutes.

Become addicted and enjoy this fresh tasting, beautiful salsa year round. 


*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife , Snap Chat  & Periscope username: HauteDishHWife or on Twitter @HauteDishHWife for more food, fashion and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment