Sunday, February 8, 2015

Spinach Pesto Pizza

Yesterday started out as a regular Saturday... wake up early and do some work in the kitchen before the kids get up.  Start laundry.  Then I got ambitious and organized the pantry. (That should've been my first clue that something else awesome would happen.)
My husband set out to do some ice fishing and the kids wanted to make their own pizzas for lunch.  I checked out the fridge to see what I had on hand and what I came up with ended up being absolutely wonderful. 


I mean... hello!
Here's what you need to make this delicious spinach pesto pizza:


* naan bread (I buy the Stonefire brand from Target in the fresh produce/bakery section)
* 1/2 cup  of pesto (I used some frozen that I had made months ago with my basil from the garden, but you can buy this premade)
* a handful of fresh baby spinach
* ball of fresh mozzarella (you won't use the whole thing on one pizza)
* salt & pepper


Preheat your oven to 400 and lay the naan on a baking sheet.  Start spreading the pesto on the naan bread, making sure to get all the way out to the edges. You might not use the whole 1/2 cup of sauce, just kind of depends on how much of the pesto flavor you want. Start laying out the spinach leaves and then slice the ball of mozzarella into thin slices and lay on top of the spinach.  I used 4 or 5 slices.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for about 8 minutes or so, or until the cheese is all nice and melted.  Droooooool.


Had I planned ahead (and next time I'm going to!) I would have added more to it.  This is great just the way it is, but think of the possibilities!  You could add sliced tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, maybe some green onion.  Grilled shrimp also sounds fantastic as a topping with this, as well as grilled chicken.  Or even leftover chicken.  Or... pretty much anything sounds great with this!  I'm getting carried away...


Friends, try this.  Make it your own and then share with me what you did to make it so super delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment