Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Berry Season is HERE!

I really couldn't be happier.  I look forward to fresh berries every year.  This year is our second year having a strawberry patch and we've been getting quite a few strawberries.  But when I need a LOT of strawberries, I go to Lorence's Berry Farm in Northfield, grab a big box and start picking. 
I usually bring the kiddos along to help me pick, but let's get real.... they do far more eating than saving.  This morning my mother-in-law, the kids and I packed up the car and made the 20 minute drive to the berry farm.  It was sunny, warm with a light breeze... it was perfect.  We picked 15 pounds of fresh strawberries, stopped and had a nice lunch together... it was a really great morning! 


In my last blog post, I shared a recipe for my favorite strawberry rhubarb jam.  This time, I'm sharing my favorite muffin recipe made with strawberries.  I believe it's one I've shared before, but I'm telling you... they're that good.  You need to try them.  You will never ever but a store bought muffin again. Plus, they're made with brown butter.  Brown butter.  (pause to wipe the drool) If you've never had a muffin made with brown butter, prepare yourself to fall in sweet, brown buttery love.


Fresh Strawberry Muffins

*7 tablespoons butter, browned and cooled
*1/3 cup buttermilk
*1 egg
*1 egg yolk
*1 tsp vanilla
*1.5 cups flour
*1.5 tsp baking powder
*3/4 cup sugar
*pinch of salt
*1.5 cups fresh strawberries, chopped


Set the oven to 375 and prepare your muffin pan. Whisk buttermilk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in cooled brown butter. In separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the wet to the dry and mix. Then add berries.  Spoon into your muffin cups.  THEN top with a streusel topping... 3 tbls very cold butter, 1/2 cup flour and 3 tbls sugar.  Crumble with fingers until crumbley. (is that a word??) Sprinkle on top of the muffins. Bake for 20 minutes.

Yeaaaahhhh, a streusel topping.  I couldn't get my mind off the brown butter and had forgotten all about the streusel topping.  Shame on me!

Try these!  Let me know if you love them as much as I do.
*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @sarawuchko, and  on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sara! Give it a try and let me know what you think. (I've made them with blueberries as well and had equally amazing results. ;) )

    ReplyDelete