Thursday, March 3, 2016

Comforting Tuna Noodle Casserole

Nothing says comfort and warmth quite like a good ol' casserole in the oven.  My mom made casseroles all the time when I was growing up and I remember I'd usually hesitate at the idea.  Or groan.  I just flat out didn't appreciate good food in my youth.  (Trust me when I say I'm paying for that now with two picky kids of my own... my mom laughs as she knows just how that goes!)


With my own children, the rule is one bite for every year of your age.  My four year old should take four small bites when giving something new a try.  Some nights this works like a charm and others take a bit more coaxing.  My seven year old is at the point now where she will try pretty much anything without having to be persuaded and her palate has really expanded the last year or so.


Now, I'm not saying this is just a MN thing but we sure do love our casseroles/hot dishes.  I make them pretty regularly (once every two to three weeks or so) and have a variety of different recipes.  One of the most comforting, warming recipes I can think of is for tuna noodle casserole.  It's creamy, filling and I top mine with cheese and potato chips.  I mean... #nobrainer


My recipe is as follows and is pretty basic.  I'm not a big lover of peas, but if you want to add some color you can always throw in some peas or carrots.  If you want to kick it up a notch, add some diced peppers and rather than the Velveeta cheese, use pepper jack.
This recipe is so versatile and there are so many possibilities to make it your own.


Tuna Noodle Casserole

*3-4 cups cooked (al dente) medium egg noodles
*one small can of tuna, drained
*one can cream of mushroom soup
*one can cream of celery soup
*one cup of crushed potato chips
*half of one small block of Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks

Mix all ingredients together except for potato chips and cheese.  Spoon into greased casserole dish.  Add chunks of cheese to the top.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Top with crushed potato chips.

Classic comfort food. Enjoy!
*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife , Snap Chat username: HauteDishHWife or on Twitter @HauteDishHWife for more food, fashion and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment