Friday, May 22, 2015

Celebration! Aaaand Banana Blueberry Bread...

I must admit, the beginning of the school year was a bit scary. Not so much for my child, (she was just SO excited) but for me.  Would she be as smart as the rest of the kids?  Would she get along with everyone?  What would her teacher be like?  Would the days be too long for her?  Would she eat lunch or get hungry throughout the day? Would she miss me?


As the days went on and routine set into place, I was so impressed at her ability to adapt to all the changes going on around her.  The day she grabbed a book we had never read, and began to read it to her little sister... that day will forever stick in my mind.  When she said that every single day she went home, her teacher (who turned out to be above and beyond AMAZING) would give each and every child in her class a big hug and let them know she couldn't wait to see them the next time they had school... my heart melted.  It was a dream year.  A phenomenal teacher, a whole classroom of children who became such close friends, and the parents... well, they were just the very best.


It really is bittersweet to see the school year come to an end.  But today?  Today was a celebration! Parents were all invited into the classroom for lunch and to watch all our little learners put on a program for us.  They sang songs that made us laugh, made us cry, and more than anything, made us all SO proud.  My Sweet Girl sang a solo of Baa-Baa Black Sheep... she sounded like an angel.  Then each child came up an said what they wanted to be when they got older.  We have future artists, teachers and race car drivers.  We had one little boy step up and say he wanted to be in the Navy.  My baby girl stepped up to the mic and announced that she hoped to be a famous songwriter someday.  It was an incredible program to bring to an end, an incredible year.


In honor of my Sweet Girl's successful year of Kindergarten, I'd like to share the recipe for her very favorite banana blueberry bread. It's the "m" word, (I seriously can't even say that word... m.o.i.s.t. ew. Anyone with me, there?) delicious and makes a perfect dessert OR a wonderful breakfast.  Serve up with some sweet honey butter and you'll be making this over and over again!




Banana Blueberry Bread

*one cup of sugar
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*2 large eggs
*4 ripe bananas (I keep mine in the freezer and thaw out before mixing)
*one teas vanilla extract
*2 cups flour
*1.5 teas baking soda
*1/8 teas salt
*1.5 cups of blueberries (tossed with one teas flour so they don't sink to the bottom)


Preheat your oven to 350.  Grease bread pans. (I use two 8x4 pans) Mash up bananas, and then add sugar, oil, eggs & vanilla. Mix well with mixer. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a separate, larger bowl. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and mix thoroughly. Gently fold in blueberries, pour mix into pans and bake for 45 minutes. Use a toothpick to check and make sure they're done.  Then, ENJOY!


My little girls really love making this bread with me.  I'm pretty certain my oldest could probably recite the recipe for you... we've made it so many times!  This bread also freezes well.  Just be sure to cool completely, wrap in saran wrap and then put in a freezer safe bag. Thaw out a loaf on a Sunday night when you realize you haven't done grocery shopping for the week and have nothing for breakfast...  (Speaking from experience.  Whoopsie!)
Try it, friends!  I hope your family loves this bread as much as mine does. Enjoy the weekend!



*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @sarawuchko, and  on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment