Thursday, May 14, 2015

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Ahhh, MN.  You are so confusing!  Yesterday we spent the whole day outside in the garden, enjoying the warm sunshine.  Today?  Not so much.  However, we like to make the best of a cold, rainy day. The girls and I met up with my Sweet Girl's school friends at a HUGE indoor park in the metro.  We had never been to Edinborough Park before today, but I can tell you we will definitely be back.  The kids had so much fun running, climbing and sliding with friends. By the time we got home, I had two exhausted girls on my hands, and let's be honest... I was pretty exhausted myself.


I'm a total soup lover, so any dreary weather is a good enough excuse for me to get a big old pot out and start cooking!  Today's choice was chicken wild rice.  I love creamy, delicious chicken wild rice soup with a baguette.  Oh!  And a parmesan crisp.  OH!  AND BACON! Droooooooolllllll. Plus, its easy to throw together which was perfect for today.
I suggest you give this a try.  Just. Do. It.




Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

*3 cups cooked wild rice (when I cook the wild rice, I always make a
double batch and freeze for the next time I make soup)
*one cup of chopped celery
*3/4 cup chopped onion
*one tbls minced garlic
*salt & pepper
*1/4 c butter
*8oz fresh sliced baby portabella mushrooms
*2 cans cream of chicken soup
*2 cans cream of mushroom soup
*1.5 cups chicken broth
*4 cups shredded chicken breasts
*6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
*slivered or sliced almonds for garnish
*milk for desired consistency (I use about 3/4 cup)

Stir together soups and chicken broth. Set aside.
Melt butter and sauté celery, onion and mushrooms in a large pot.  Add soup mixture, chicken, wild rice, and some of the bacon. (Reserve some for garnish) Add milk to reach desired consistency.  Add salt and pepper and cook on low for 30 minutes or so.

Sometimes, I will serve this with a salad.  But today, it was a baguette and parmesan crisp.  If you've never had a parmesan crisp, you're totally missing out.  However, you're in luck!  They're super easy to make. 
Preheat your oven to 350.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Grab about two tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese, drop it on the parchment paper and spread it out a bit into a small circle.  (you don't want a heaping pile or they won't crisp up) Put them in the oven and keep a close eye on them.  Wait until they melt and the sides just start to get a bit brown.  That's when they're PERFECT.
Enjoy, friends!


*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, and soon on FB at Haute Dish Housewife for more recipe ideas, crafts/DIY, my style and giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment